Semi trucks and tractor-trailers are very dangerous vehicles. A fully loaded truck can weigh up to 80,000 pounds. The average weight of an automobile is only 3,000 pounds. You do the math.
When involved in an accident with an automobile, the drivers of the large trucks normally remain uninjured. It’s the driver or passenger of the smaller car, truck, van, motorcycle or SUV that is more susceptible to injury. Drivers of large trucks are required to be extra careful because of the seriousness of potential accidents. The federal government has enacted many regulations which trucking companies and their drivers are required to follow. Unfortunately, these laws are all too often broken. Many times, they are even intentionally broken to save the trucking company, and their drivers, time or money. When truck drivers or the companies they represent are negligent or reckless, they should be held fully accountable for all the damages they cause.
If you or a loved one is involved in an automobile accident, you should immediately:
- Stop your vehicle at or close to the scene of the accident, but try not to obstruct the flow of traffic any more than is absolutely necessary.
- Help anyone who is injured.
- Call 911 to notify the police and fire rescue. INSIST THAT A POLICE REPORT BE COMPLETED, otherwise, the other party can claim that you were at fault and later avoid responsibility.
- Obtain the names and telephone numbers of all eyewitnesses. Many eyewitnesses leave the accident scene before the police arrive.
- Get the name, address and tag number of the other vehicles involved in the accident as soon as possible.
- Photograph the accident scene, including all vehicles involved and all visible injuries.
- If you feel pain or are injured, get medical attention immediately at the hospital.
- Notify your insurance company that you were involved in an automobile accident.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney. You should never speak with any representative of the other driver or their insurance company without first consulting an experienced personal injury & attorney.
At Steve Watrel, P.A., we have represented hundreds of victims of trucking accidents. Our law firm has the financial resources to fully investigate each trucking accident. We hire the best experts possible to help us find out why a accident has happened and to prevent the trucking company and its insurance companies from avoiding responsibility. Our job is to ensure that you obtain full compensation. Receiving full compensation in a trucking accident injury case can be an extremely complicated and time-consuming process. You need a law firm like Steve Watrel, P.A. that can guide you through the process and be your advocate every step of the way.
If you or someone you know has suffered an injury as a result of a trucking accident and needs a Trucking Accident Attorney, contact us today to set up a free consultation. There is no obligation.